Medics threatened on World Cup call

Paramedics were threatened when they attended a call-out at a pub during the England v Uruguay World Cup match

Paramedics were threatened when they attended a call-out at a pub during the England v Uruguay World Cup match

First published in National News © by

Medics treating a World Cup pub reveller injured during last night's nail-biting England game were threatened with having their faces ripped off.

West Midlands Ambulance Service said it also dealt with a separate call-out in which a football fan fell 8ft (2.4m) off a car park and landed on his head.

Paramedics were called to a semi-conscious woman at the Duke of York pub in Market Street, Telford, Shropshire, at about 9.30pm, during the England v Uruguay match.

The woman, in her 20s, had been hurt in a fall "when the second Uruguay goal went in", according to the ambulance service.

But on arrival they were challenged by another reveller.

An ambulance service spokesman said: "Their way was blocked by another woman who refused to move and threatened to 'rip their faces off'."

When police arrived the woman had already left, while medics were able to treat the casualty.

Rob Marsh, an ambulance service assistant area manager, said: "Whilst we understand people were upset at the result and had apparently had a drink, there is absolutely no excuse for behaviour of this sort."

He appealed for pub-goers to identify the woman so the police could speak to her.

In Birmingham, medics said a man had "a miraculous escape" after falling from the car park of the White Lion pub in Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham, at about 10.10pm.

"Witnesses said he landed on his head," the ambulance service said.

Despite the fall he did not appear seriously injured and was taken to the city's Good Hope Hospital for further assessment.

The ambulance service said there was "a notable drop in demand" on its 999 call-outs during the game, but after the final whistle crews were kept busy into the early hours.

Kent Police said they received 28 reports of domestic violence between 6pm and 10.30pm last night.

Several forces around the UK have set up dedicated operations amid fears that the tournament could spark a rise in attacks in the home.

Appeals have also been issued to fans not to drive drunk after watching games.

Greater Manchester Police said 153 people have been arrested in 18 days after they launched a World Cup drink and drug-driving clampdown.

Of those, 32 were held following a crash.

Inspector Matt Bailey-Smith said: "It is absolutely appalling that in 2014 we still have to remind people not to drink and drive but, as the latest arrest figures show, there are still far too many people prepared to put their life on the line for the sake of a drink."

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree