Teenager badly burnt after barbecue explodes at Clayhidon campsite, near Uffculme (From Mid Devon Star)
Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting DEVON NEWS to 80360 or email us
Teenager badly burnt after barbecue explodes at Clayhidon campsite, near Uffculme
4:00pm Thursday 22nd August 2013 in Mid Devon News
A 15-YEAR-OLD boy was airlifted to hospital after a barbecue exploded in a “fire ball” when he used white spirit to get the flames going.
Firefighters from Wellington attended the incident at a campsite in Clayhidon, near Uffculme, at around 7.30pm yesterday (August 21).
An ambulance was also called and the teenager was treated for severe burns at the scene before he was airlifted to Frenchay Hospital in Bristol.
The boy’s pet dog also suffered severe burns and had to be treated by a vet.
Devon and Somerset Fire Service are now warning people never to use flammable liquids on barbecues.
A spokesperson said: “Many of us can’t wait to get the barbecue lit. We all know how tempting it can be to give stubborn coals a helping hand, but, Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service reminds you to please be patient and make sure you use the right tools for the job.
“By far the biggest danger is the use of flammable liquids to light any barbecue, these include white spirit, petrol, or thinners.
“Every year there are occasions where people have poured petrol or white spirit onto charcoal in an effort to get it going and the reaction has, not surprisingly, been violent and highly dangerous often creating a fire ball.
Their top tips are:
• Never leave a barbecue unattended.
• Follow the safety instructions provided with disposable barbecues. • Make sure your barbecue is well away from sheds, fences, trees, shrubs or garden waste.
• Use enough charcoal to cover the base of the barbecue, but not more.
• Keep children, pets and garden games away from the cooking area.
• After cooking, make sure the barbecue is cool before moving it.
• Empty ashes onto bare garden soil, not into dustbins or wheelie bins. If they’re hot, they can melt the plastic and cause a fire.
• Enjoy yourself, but don’t drink too much alcohol if you are in charge of the barbecue.
• Always keep a bucket of water, sand or a garden hose nearby for emergencies.
• Never use a barbecue indoors.
Comments are closed on this article.