Carbon Monoxide warning

Mid Devon Star: Carbon Monoxide warning Carbon Monoxide warning

THE Devon & Somerset Fire and Rescue Service is warning people about the dangers of carbon monoxide, the ‘silent killer’.

Carbon monoxide, a highly poisonous gas with no colour, taste or smell, can be produced by appliances which use gas, wood, oil or coal.

The gas can also be present in smoke from solid fuel or oil appliances.

It is potentially fatal and even low levels of it can cause lasting damage to human health.

A statement from the service said: “It is dangerous to block ventilation to your fuel-burning appliances as this can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.

“Fuel-burning appliances need a consistent supply of air for complete combustion to occur and for the appliance to work correctly.

“If you’re concerned about draughts in your home you should speak to your installation specialist, who may be able to recommend a different location in your home for the appliance to be located.”

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree