Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting DEVON NEWS to 80360 or email us
Carbon Monoxide warning
4:00pm Sunday 16th February 2014 in Devon
THE Devon & Somerset Fire and Rescue Service is warning people about the dangers of carbon monoxide, the ‘silent killer’.
Carbon monoxide, a highly poisonous gas with no colour, taste or smell, can be produced by appliances which use gas, wood, oil or coal.
The gas can also be present in smoke from solid fuel or oil appliances.
It is potentially fatal and even low levels of it can cause lasting damage to human health.
A statement from the service said: “It is dangerous to block ventilation to your fuel-burning appliances as this can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.
“Fuel-burning appliances need a consistent supply of air for complete combustion to occur and for the appliance to work correctly.
“If you’re concerned about draughts in your home you should speak to your installation specialist, who may be able to recommend a different location in your home for the appliance to be located.”
Comments are closed on this article.