Man with history of violence and aggression banned from whole city of Plymouth for two years (From Mid Devon Star)
Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting DEVON NEWS to 80360 or email us
Man with history of violence and aggression banned from whole city of Plymouth for two years
6:00am Thursday 17th July 2014 in News
A man with a history of abusive and anti-social behaviour has been banned from the whole city of Plymouth for two years.
Sean Marsden has been banned from the city following a joint court application by Plymouth City Council and Devon and Cornwall Police, under the banner of Safer Plymouth.
Safer Plymouth say that Marsden had a history of violence and aggression, and had already been made subject of two restraining orders following serious harassment of separate women, and one of these orders had previously excluded him from Plymouth.
He was also a long term problematic street drinker and had previously been the subject of an ASBO by Cornwall County Council.
Marsden was recently evicted from privately rented accommodation following his "threats to kill his landlady and her children", and the application was made by Safer Plymouth.
Councillor Chris Penberthy, cabinet member for co-operatives, housing and community safety, said: “This decision sends out a very clear message that we will not tolerate violence, aggression or anti-social behaviour in the city of Plymouth, and we are willing to take tough action.
“It is a very unusual step for the court to ban someone from the entire city of Plymouth for two years and this indicates the seriousness of Sean Marsden’s anti-social behaviour.
“Due to his violent and threatening nature Marsden was unable to be housed in any of the homeless hostels within Plymouth because he was a risk to other residents and there was quite literally no housing option left for him within the city.
“When Sean Marsden returned to Plymouth and continued with his anti-social behaviour, including the drinking and threats to his landlady, the application was made and the court imposed the two year ban.
“This decision sends out a very clear message that we will not tolerate violence, aggression or anti-social behaviour in the city of Plymouth, and we are willing to take tough action.”
Sergeant Dom Nicholls from Devon and Cornwall Police said: “Sean Marsden is a particularly aggressive individual who has blighted the lives of many people in Plymouth. He has refused support to address his behaviour which has led to the decision by the court to ban him from the city. This demonstrates the commitment of the police and our partner agencies to take robust action against individuals who are intent on acting in an anti-social manner.”
The order comes into force as of midnight on Friday, July 18 – if anyone sees Marsden after this date they should report him to the police.