Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting DEVON NEWS to 80360 or email us
Carbon monoxide warning after scare in Crediton
10:00am Saturday 27th October 2012 in News
FIRE chiefs are warning people to beware of the dangers of carbon monoxide after two adults and two children were poisoned in Crediton on Tuesday.
Crews were called to Moor-lands View, Lapford, just before 3am by concerned householders who were treated for “minor effects of carbon monoxide poisoning” after a fire at the house.
Fire bosses want people to check their homes as winter approaches for all the possible dangers of carbon monoxide.
Tips include checking your furnace and other gas-powered utilities, and making sure there are no cracks or leaks in them.
Also, look at your chimney to make sure it isn't clogged up, and have it professionally cleaned each year so smoke doesn’t back up into the home Leaving your car running inside your garage, even with the door open, can also cause harmful fumes to enter the house.
To be safe, fire chiefs recommend buying a carbon monoxide detector and installing one on each floor of your home.
Signs that someone may be suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning include dizziness, nausea, blurred vision or headache.
Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless and tasteless by-product of combustion known as the ‘silent killer’.
Comments are closed on this article.