Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting DEVON NEWS to 80360 or email us
Tiverton and Honiton (House of Commons)
Mr Neil Parish MP (Conservative)
Surgery: 9c Mill Park Industrial Estate
White Cross Road
Surgery Tel: 020 7219 2689
MP Since - 2010 Majority - 9,320 Born - 1956, Married (Sue), 2 children (Jonathan and Harriet).
Education - Brymore School & City & Guilds; Taunton Technical College.
Previous Occupation - Farmer (ran family farm in Somerset).
Personal Overview - Former west country MEP, farmer and businessman who was rewarded for his service to the party by inheriting this safe Conservative seat from Angela Browning at the 2010 elections. In his 10 year period as an MEP he has shown particular interest in rural issues, as a former Chairman of the Parliament's Rural Development Committee, he also showed a foreign affairs interest in several countries and Chaired the Australia and New Zealand Delegation for several years.
Political History - Councillor Sedgemoor District Council (1983-95), Deputy Leader (1989-95). Councillor Somerset County Council (1989-93). MEP South West Region (1999-2009). Conservative agriculture spokesperson. Member of the Foot & Mouth Temporary Committee (2002-04), Member of the Israel Delegation (2002-04). Chairman of the Australia & New Zealand Delegation (2004-07), Member (2007-08). Substitute member of the Switzerland, Iceland, Norway and EEA Delegation (2004-09). Substitute member of the Environment, Public Health, & Consumer Policy Committee (2001-04), Substitute member of the Fisheries Committee (2002-09), Member (2004-07). Substitute member of the Gulf States including Yemen Delegation (2004-09). Member of the Agriculture & Rural Development Committee (1999-2007), Chair (2007-09). Member of the Conference of Delegation Chairmen (2004-07). Member of the Conference of Committee Chairmen (2007-08). Member of the People's Republic of China Delegation (2008-09), Substitute member of the Canada Delegation (2008-09). Member for Tiverton & Honiton (2010-). Member of the Environment, Food & Rural Affairs Select Committee (2010-).
Characteristics - N/a.
Business Tel: 020 7219 3000
Interests: Agriculture,European Issues,Animal Welfare,Health,Rural,Local Government
- Environment, Food & Rural Affairs Committee (Member)
- Animal Welfare (Associate Group) (Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for the Replacement of Animals in Medical Experimentation (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on the Chinese in Britain (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Cider Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Dementia (Member)
- Parliamentary Group for Energy Studies (Treasurer)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Hill Farming (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary ITV Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Pigs and Poultry (Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for the Roofing Industry (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Science and Technology in Agriculture (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for the Wood Panel Industry (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary China Group (Vice Chairman)
- British-Latvian Group (Secretary)
- British-Slovenia Group (Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Zimbabwe (Member)
South West (European Parliament)
Earl William of Dartmouth MEP (UK Independence)
MEP Since - 2009 Born - 23/09/49. 10th Earl of Dartmouth.
Education - Eton. Christchurch College, Oxford. Harvard Business School.
Previous Occupation - Chartered Accountant, working in the United Arab Emirates (1975-77). Worked in the US for 6 years before returning to work in the UK in 1983 in finance, property and communications. Director, Hanson Transport. Chairman and Founder of Kirklees Cable.
Personal Overview - Former Conservative Peer who defected to the UK Independence party successfully gained election to the European Parliament at the 2009 elections. From a background in accountancy, he has worked in several countries, including the United Arab Emirates and US. A former Hereditary Peer, he lost his seat in the House of Lords in November 1999 in the Lords reforms of that year. Having reinvented himself as a UK Independence member he has the opportunity to use his accountancy skills to highlight any financial issues within the EU.
Political History - General Election candidate (Conservative) for Leigh (February 1974), Stockport South (October 1974). Succeeded his father to became a member of the House of Lords (1997-99). European Parliament candidate (1999). Joined the UK Independence Party (2007). Current prospective parliamentary candidate for Exeter. MEP South West Region (2009-). Member of the Committee on International Trade (2009-). Substitute member of the Foreign Affairs Committee.
Other Information - At Oxford he was elected Secretary of the Oxford Union.
Intergroups - N/a.
Business Tel: 32(0)2 28 49735
Interests: Business & Finance
- Foreign Affairs (Substitute)
- International Trade (Member)
Information supplied by Goveval. Send feedback to email@example.com